Call for Proposals 2023 Modalities 1 and 2
VICEPRESIDENCY OF RESEARCH OF TECNOLÓGICO DE MONTERREY
The objective of the challenge is to generate applied basic research for Researchers within the model and to generate research outcomes (part of the evaluation). On the other hand, a professor without a research load can be part of a proposal.
This financial program will support research projects to create solutions for specific challenges defined as a priority for Tec de Monterrey. Groups of researchers from Tecnológico de Monterrey can submit proposals to produce cutting-edge scientific innovations and create technological developments that will help to unravel solutions for selected challenges the research teams decide to address. The sum of the knowledge and experience of the team members must aim to strengthen the comprehensive process of research, innovation, and technological development, aimed at generating a verifiable impact and promoting technology-based entrepreneurship. Additionally, teams must link these efforts with key stakeholders in society. The development period of the projects will be from January 2024 to December 2026.
At Tecnológico de Monterrey we have defined the Vision 2030 which aims to develop "leadership, innovation, and entrepreneurship for human flourishing." Through our activities and results, we will actively contribute to an ecosystem where national and international talent can work collaboratively, exploring different research venues and generating innovative and radical solutions for widespread challenges in different disciplines for high impact for industry and society. By promoting scientific research through this call, we will contribute directly to developing Tecnológico de Monterrey's vision for 2030: "Research, innovation, and entrepreneurial ecosystem”. Furthermore, the impact, results, and outcomes of Tecnológico de Monterrey's research will become the main factors that will distinguish us as a leading world-class research university creating interdisciplinary solutions and technology-based enterprises to address societal challenges.
To achieve these goals, Tec de Monterrey has created an intramural competitive-fund to develop research and technological development through interdisciplinary research, led by extraordinary talent focused on creating solutions that positively impact the pressing challenges on which Tecnológico de Monterrey has decided to focus. This document will guide research teams to prepare a proposal for three-years research projects including its products, targeted outcomes, impacts, and the required budget to achieve them.
For this year, Challenge - Based Research Funding Program will have two calls aligned to the research modalities scope. This document is aligned to modalities 1. Discovery Grants and 2. Exploratory Grants. In the case of Innovation, there´s an independent call.
Research Model Professors from National Schools and Interdisciplinary Institutes can apply as Principal Investigators for this call.
As mentioned above, PIs submitting a proposal to this call (2023) AND leading a proposal for the call (2022) should demonstrate they have submitted proposals externally during the last 12 months (external funding is expected).
Team members may include:
- Full-time research professors (Research Models: 75%, 50%, 25%)
- PhD students.
- Experts for specific tasks: Professors from Tec (Vitalidad Intelectual) and strategic universities.
- Research units from the Interdisciplinary Research Institutes can invite professors from school to develop specific tasks/products using their allocated time to do research.
- Research groups from the National Schools are allowed to invite professors from institutes to develop specific tasks/products using their allocated time to do research.
- Professor Researchers involvement in projects (2022) and new projects (2023) should be less than 100%
A key component of the evaluation is the composition of the team, it is highly recommended to include Early-Career Researchers and, furthermore, for Discovery Grants, special attention will be given to proposals submitted by Early-Career Researchers (ECRs) as PI.
This Call for Proposals includes two modalities to develop projects from January 2024 to December 2026:
- Discovery Grants: Disciplinary research projects to investigate state-of-art topics to expand and develop knowledge in specific disciplines. The available funding is up to 1,000,000 MXN per year (National Schools and Interdisciplinary Institutes). Special attention will be given to proposals submitted by Early Career Researchers (ECRs) as PI. As main outcomes, it is expected Research Papers (specially Q1 / Q2) and Research Proposals.
- Exploratory Grants: Interdisciplinary research projects to prove and demonstrate disruptive and multifaceted solutions to high-impact challenges—funding is up to 2,000,000 MXN per year. Research groups should propose hypotheses to create disruptive solutions to the established challenges and promote Tec de Monterrey's leadership in researching related knowledge topics (National Schools and Interdisciplinary Institutes). As main outcomes, researchers must consider outcomes from Discovery Grants (Research Papers and Research Proposals) and, additionally, Research Contracts with stakeholders.
 Early Career Researchers are professors with less than 7 years after obtaining their PhD degree.
Expected attributes of the research projects submitted are:
1. The project's objective, work plan, and outcomes must respond to one of the challenges stated in section 2.2 Challenges. The selected challenge must be correlated to the Principal Investigator's adscription (National School or Interdisciplinary Institute).
2. The proposal and all the submitted materials must be written in English.
3. Projects must be scientifically rigorous to address the selected challenge. In addition, the proposal must consider the technological and social megatrends when choosing its course of action, and an investigative intelligence study on the knowledge niche to verify opportunities to generate a relevant social or economic impact. The Office of Research Intelligence can produce and deliver intelligence studies on research niches and identify the top 10 universities in the world in the research niche. To get the corresponding Intelligence Report, please fill out the request form at the following URL before October 6th: https://forms.gle/xpSStdEjNS3mdzjG6
4. Each team member (full-time researchers, postdocs, doctoral students, foreign research partners, and experts supporting the development of specific products) should contribute significantly to the scientific outcomes of the project. Activities and outcomes will be documented in the Product Summary Table (Application Form).
5. It is expected that teams establish strategic alliances with national and international research universities (up to two universities) to generate joint solutions; the collaboration should result in the production of joint scientific publications, talent development, and/or intellectual property.
6. For Modality 2. Exploratory Grant, teams should identify key stakeholders from the public and private sectors to amplify the project's impact by funding further research, transfer, implementation of findings, or dissemination/transfer of results. Support Letters are expected.
7. PIs submitting a proposal to this call (2023) AND leading a proposal for the Call (2022) should demonstrate they have submitted proposals externally during the last 12 months (external funding is expected).
8. Researchers' involvement in projects (2022) and new projects (2023) should have less than 100% of total dedication to research (work load)..
9. There must be a sustainability plan through external funds beyond CONAHCYT to comply with the commitment to attract funds during the operation of the projects. To establish it, you can contact the Research Funding Directorate (Carlos Julio Gutiérrez González: email@example.com / Isabel Kreiner: firstname.lastname@example.org) or you can consult financing opportunities through Pivot (https:// pivot.proquest.com/).
Mónica Vazquez Salas <email@example.com>; Verónica Magdalena González García <firstname.lastname@example.org>
innovation research challenges social impact economic impact
About modifications to 2022 CALL. NEW DATES FOR DELIVER THE REPORTS
Email sent by Ana Lilia Benavides at the request of Dr. Neil Hernández and María Alejandra Venegas Pinto about the changes of the validity dates of the 2022 challenge “New dates 2022 for delivery the reports.pdf”, you can see it in the section tutorials.
How can I learn to use the Science Connexion platform?
Please review this video tutorial to familiarize yourself with the main functions of the platform.
Where are I can find the presentation of the last 2 session of modalities 1, 2 and 3?
Please review the section Tutoriales
Where are I can find Q&A for this call?
Please review the section Tutoriales
Is it strictly necessary that the principal investigator must have made a request for funds in the last twelve months?
The attraction of funds in the last 12 months is only if the leader who will apply in this call is also the leader of a project approved in 2022. If you do not have a project approved in 2022 then it does not apply to you.
Should the attraction of foreign funds other than those indicated in the call be reflected from the beginning of the project?
There must be a sustainability plan through external funds beyond CONAHCYT to comply with the commitment to attract funds during the operation of the projects. To establish it, you can contact the Research Funding Directorate (Carlos Julio Gutiérrez González: email@example.com / Isabel Kreiner: firstname.lastname@example.org) or you can consult financing opportunities through Pivot (https:// pivot.proquest.com/).
Should the partners (relevant partners) and production with members of TOP 10 Universities be included from the beginning of the resource request? Or can they arise during the project from the report obtained from the Office of Research Intelligence?
Yes, the Intelligence Report helps you identify partners with whom you should seek collaboration, in case you do not have an established relationship with these partners. If they already have it, they must put it in the document, but if not, part of the effort in the operation of the project, if it is financed, is to establish these collaboration networks.
Can we order less quantity than requested? That is to say, we don't need as much money as what the call offers, can we ask for less or is that the maximum to cover?
Yes, the amount of the call (depending on the modality) is the maximum amount of funds that can be assigned.
We would not know for sure how much a data collection with a company could cost us, can we put a tentative amount and then if it is more or less adjust it?
It is advisable to quote the service to have a real approximation of the cost. It is allowed during the life of the project to make budget changes between items or stages, as long as they are justified. The restriction that would be had is that, in the event that what was requested was less than the actual cost with the project being formalized, no additional budget can be assigned to a project. For example, if I requested 1,000,000 for the entire duration of the project and my costs during the operation exceed that amount, no more resources can be assigned from the call to complete the associated expenses.
There is no additional payment for teachers, but can downloads for research be paid to a collaborator or the main researcher?
Payment of this type is not eligible for any collaborator.
Where can I find the CONAHCYT Scholarship tab?
Please check the Tutorials section
The following table outlines dates and activities all teams must be aware of. Applications (including the formats and additional documentation) must be submitted in their entirety from August 21th until October 20th at 23:59 p.m. No proposals will be accepted after this date.
August 23th, 2023
Call for proposals opens
October 6th, 2023
Intelligence Report Requests deadline
October 20th, 2023
Call for proposals’ deadline
October 20th, 2023 - January 7th, 2024
January 12nd, 2024
Selected projects publication
January 15th - 19th, 2024
Funding for selected projects period
Applications should be submitted online no-later than October 20th, 2023, at 23:59 p.m.:
1. To submit a proposal for this Call, teams (PI and participants) must create an account in Science Connexion platform: https://scienceconnexion.com/
2. Once logged in to the platform, identify the Challenge-Based Research Funding Program 2023 and select Apply to create your proposal registration. The Principal Investigator is responsible for the submission.
3. PI can add each team member through the Talent Tank (each member must create an account in Science Connexion previously). For more information, please check the following video:
4. The application must include all documents listed in section
6. Checklist of documents to include in the proposal. All formats must be duly filled out and named using the key described in the following paragraph (point 4). Incomplete proposals will not be considered for evaluation.
5. To facilitate management of the files for the evaluation committees, the files name’s must follow a specific format, according to the nomenclature outlined below. It is important to name the files as indicated below, otherwise, the proposal might not be deemed eligible.
6. Science Connexion allows to work in the proposal development at different time points, when the proposal is ready you must submit it. Once submitted you won’t be able to edit the proposal.
circle circle circle circle circle